Term 2 Inquiry – Capabilities

Starting this PLM about capabilities, it was interesting to discuss with Steven Harris and colleagues what exactly a ‘capability’ is. A simple definition: the ability to do something. Within our school context, this is more specific in how well a student can “be creative”, “manage themselves”, “problem solve” etc. How exactly each student shows these capabilities is different and how we as educators measure their ability in this area can be influenced by our own experiences and confidence in that area.

Any capability needs multiple opportunities to be demonstrated and the more diverse the contexts, the more chances a student has to show those skills, often entwined. For example, creativity and problem solving could be demonstrated in an open ended investigation in science to tackle climate change at a school level.

Realising these skills need more opportunities to be used, I started to think about my own capabilities. Take creativity for example. Personally, this would be an area that I would consider as a ‘weakness’ whereas “Risk assessment” is an area I consider as a strength. As a teacher, how can I teach, model and assess an area of capability that I myself deem as a weakness? One of my key takeaways from our last meeting with Steven was that we also need to be provided opportunities to develop and grow our own capabilities in order to effectively teach, model and assess these in our students. 

Being a person of action, I have decided to deliberately set time aside to explore and develop my creativity. This has been from something as simple as experimenting with colour in mindfulness activities, asking my five year old son to give me a Lego challenge to more broader activities such as taking photos, cooking flavours, exploring other learning experiences for students. 

IF we can provide more opportunities for students to demonstrate their capabilities 

THEN we can more effectively assess these essential skills 

WHICH helps prepare students for the ever changing world beyond St Luke’s.

In conclusion, I can teach, model and assess capabilities with more confidence if I am also developing and learning these skills too.