Stepping up ….. Or Stepping out?

Late July I made the decision to sign up for the national breast cancer foundation’s 10K a day Stepping up to Breast Cancer challenge. 

10 000 steps each day for the month of August to raise funds for breast cancer research. Easy right? For me it was a challenge to stay committed to that number and for an entire month. My average steps is around 7000 – 8000 so some serious time and effort were going to be needed.

Why?

Recently my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent surgery in late June. She was given the option to undertake Chemotherapy but decided against it and radiation treatment was the best option. How do we know it was the best option? Research! Over the past 20 years or so, cancer research has come so far, from early detection methods, to less invasive surgeries (depending on cancer type) to the range of treatments that are effective and less damaging to the patient.

How?

How was I going to get 10 thousands steps each day??? I had to set goals, 5000 steps by lunch time, 8500 by dinner as a guide to ensure I would get them done. With intentional time set aside each day to walk, the step count varied. Some days it was 40 minutes, some it was 5 minute short walks. Managing working from home, 2 kids learning from home, all things domestic duty focussed and this? Let’s give it a go.

Motivation?

This was crucial in achieving the mini goal of 10K each day. My mind would wander, organise thoughts and appreciate my surroundings – watch the trees change with the season, the flowers starting to bloom in the warmer weather, the different birds on the different routes I walked. Noticing the people (or lack of) on each path, at different times of the day, listen to my son’s endless knowledge about all things Star Wars, Lego and more Star Wars. Watching the clouds shift and change, the colour of the sky fading from dusky pinks and oranges in the early morning to brilliant blues at midday. Noticing how it transitions so quickly into a sunset of stunning reds, orange and purple, each day it was different. Those days when it was hard to get moving, I would reframe it to be “I wonder what I will see this time?”. I would often think of those who have been diagnosed recently, undergoing treatment, in remission and how it has impacted the simple act of being outside. It made me appreciate that little ‘gift’ all the more.

Result? 

Did I walk 10 K each day for August? yes

Did I raise much money? No, it actually was not my driving force, so I didn’t push for that, I met my target which was a good feeling.

Did I raise awareness of cancer research? No idea

Did I learn something about myself? Hell yes – so much, I like being outside, the sense of space it gives the mind and body to move, I like my own company but also that of others, my kids are amazing in what they know and given the right opportunities to express that is crucial (I learnt alot about Lego and Star Wars), I learnt that a simple act of 5 minutes walk can do wonders for someone mood – a great way to decompress, appreciate the smaller moments in life as some people may not have that chance again.

Would I do something like this again? Maybe – it would depend on how it aligned with my WHY at the time

I revisit the title of this – Stepping up – sure did that, or Stepping out? Of my comfort zone – absolutely did this and the learning from taking that step (or 332 407 of them) was the big winner.